LL-L "Literature" 2004.10.29 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 30 00:25:36 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Rikus Kiers <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2004.10.28 (03) [E]

I understand for there is no poem1

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>

Mark wrote:
> > So, let's see what you make of this:
>
> I give up. Help me out!

I thought no-one would ever ask! Here's the poem again in all its beauty...
this time with annotations.

DESCENT (major giveaway right here)

Soft and nurturing, the earth is around me,
Moist, brown and squishy,
Mud.
(In other words: I fell in a mud puddle)

The earth has welcomed me.
First came the wind,
Pricking my face with silver needles,
Cruel.
(I seem to have fallen quite a way and with significant velocity... hence
the wind)

Then down I went.
Down, down, but not forever.
The earth has welcomed me.
(The ground broke my fall, obviously)

Then came the pain.
Rock in the mud.
The rock was hard
Just where my flesh,
My gentle flesh,
Was not.
(I landed with my tender behind on a hard rock in a mud puddle)

Rock in the mud.
Me in the mud.
(I'm not very happy about this)

Eyes that shine
As a moonless night
On velvet pebbles
Right over me.
(As any well-mannered horse would do, she's standing still until I try to
get back up... looking very innocent and concerned...)

Softly smiles
My horse
A wicked smile.
(...and smug)

The earth has welcomed me.
(I took a tumble off my horse - AGAIN!)

Gabriele Kahn

P.S. This is purely fictional, of course. I never fell off my own horse,
although it's not for her lack of trying.