LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.30 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 30 15:52:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.OCT.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.10.29 (09) [E]

About Moi(n), I always thought this would be from _morgen_ (good) morning.
In Western Dutch the postvocal [r] is pronounced more or less like a [j];
morgen [mOjG@(n)]
About Dutch/Saxon _mooi_,  Frisian _moai_, this diphthong could be derived
from words with intervocal d too.
Like Coll. Dutch _rooie_ red < rode, _dooie_ dead < dode, _raaie_ guess <
raden, _moeie_ tired < moede.
But what this root with d would be then,  I don't know (Ingmar)

----------

From: Leslie Decker <lekkermeisje at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.29 (13) [E]

All this talk about the Dutch word mooi just reminds me of a true story
that I like to tell.  When I was studying in Leiden, the Netherlands, I
had a friend from Aberdeen, Scotland.  It was the beginning of her time
there in Leiden, and she was taking a Dutch course.  One night, she went
to a party she'd been invited to, but she was very tired, and kept
trying to say so (her friends apparently wouldn't let her leave).
However, she mixed up 'moe,' the Dutch word for tired, with 'mooi'
(pretty) and so spent quite a long time telling everyone she met "Ik ben
mooi!  Ik ben zo erg mooi!"  Now this girl IS quite pretty, but....

 From then on, any one of my friends who was tired, was 'mooi.'

Leslie Decker
Austin, TX