LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.01 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 2 15:28:19 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.SEP.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mathieu. van Woerkom <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.ru.nl>
Subject: "Etymology"

Yves wrote:

> i can give a few words Flemish that come into French
> - mannequin:manneken of mannekijn small puppet(with new designed
> clothes)
> used by the tailors in Brugge sended by diligence to the nobles in
> France(11
> century)-
> - fauteuil:vouwzetel
> - boullevard:bouwwerk

As far as I know, French _boulevard_ comes form Dutch _bolwerk_; the
system of canals around the city for protection, the city-side of which
usually lies a bit higher than the surounding (rural) area.

Examples:
- http://www.club65dokkum.nl/Dokkum/bolwerk%201lowres.jpg
- http://www.kfheinfonds.nl/images/Bolwerk.jpg
- http://dongeradeel.castmanage.nl/files/68/bolwerk1.jpg