LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.02 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 2 23:57:18 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.SEP.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.02 (07) [D/E]

> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.01 (05) [E]
>
> > From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
> > Subject: Etymology
> > > "Boulevard", like E "bulwark", is actually from MDu "bolwerc" (Mod Du
> > > "bolwerk").
> > Hey, not that I want to grab undue "credit" here, but what's that with
the
> > _...wark_ part?  The only Continental Lowlands varieties I know have
> > /...arC/ where others have /...erC/ are the Saxon ones.

You should not forget the Brabantish dialect of the historically important
city of Antwerp, called "äntwaarpe" by its residents, which already leads to
their pronunciation [boelwaark] of Standard Dutch 'bolwerk'  (oe = IPA [u])
Short 'o' < Old Low Franconian 'u' is preserved as 'oe' in many dialect of
Flandern, i.e. Dutch speaking Belgium, especially also in the Brabant parts
which include the province of Antwerpen, with the capital city Antwerp.
So, English bulwark is much more likely a loan from BB (Belgium Brabantish)
boelwaark ['bulwa:rk] than from a remote Lower Saxon dialect; Antwerp was
and still is an important port and
relatively close to England

Ingmar