LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.04 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 4 15:45:47 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.03 (08) [E]

Sandy wrote:
> And so on. I'm not sure about the use of words like "under", "over" and
"on"
> which seem to be false friends with common English words and might cause
> confusion to English monolinguals. I think it might be better in such
cases
> to borrow the English word, which would hopefully be unambiguous to all.
>
> I'm sure I could quickly learn to understand Middelsprake, but only
because
> I have dabbled in German, Dutch, Frisian, Swedish and Icelandic at times,
> and with words like "kenned" even Scots helps. I'm not so sure that
English
> monolinguals would find it so easy.

Well, quite obviously, English monolinguals do not find ANY language besides
English "so easy", so I don't see the point of using "their" propositions to
make Middelsprake even easier for them just so they won't have the feeling
of having to deal with a language other than English... and after that,
they'll want to change the verbs... and the nouns... and the adjectives...

Gabriele Kahn