LL-L "Syntax" 2004.09.04 (05) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 4 23:52:42 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.SEP.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.09.04 (02) [E]

Hallo!

Here come my two cents...
> The reason that this happened is, i believe, a grammatical construction in
> Limburgish. I hear it very seldom but when i do, it's pronounced loud and
> clear. My father is a very cordial man, but when he gets really angry (i'm
> less cordial) he inserts a clear, stressed en ( the e like in Eng.
> pen),between subject and verb. For example
>
> jij gaat naar de kerk ( you go to the church)
> jij en gaat naar de kerk
>
> jij gaat niet naar de fuif (you don't go to the party)
> jij en gaat niet naar de fuif
>
> ik ga naar huis (i go home)
> ik en ga naar huis
>
> Mostly the latter construction is used to end a discussion (ik ga niet-jij
> gaat wel-nee, ik ga niet- jij en gaat!) and it works very wel. Since i
only
> hear it in quite tensed situations, i turned Mrs. Hartland in an agressor,
> while nothing in the context would favour such a thought. I was mislead by
> an artefact, if yu-n and jij-en were cognate at all. It was probably not
> only used in escalating discussions, but my father simply turned to an
older
> version of his language when he got really angry.

A phrase like "jij en gaat niet naar de fuif" sounds very much like examples
from Middle Low Saxon, Middle Dutch, and Middle High German where
the old Germanic negative element "ne" was weakened into a proclitic
version (i.e. one that phonetically leans onto the following word) which
could
no longer be used to mark negation of a sentence alone.

OHG: ih ne gango (hope that's right... Don't have a grammar here now)
MHG ih en gan
later: ih en gan niht (with second negator)
today: ich gehe nicht.

The same development as far as I now took place in Dutch and Low Saxon.

So, I propose that your "en" might have developped from a use as an emphatic
second negator first in negative sentences.

E.g. jij gaat niet (normal version)
       jij en gaat niet (emphatic version)

and has spread to positive sentences too.

       jij gaat (normal version)
       jij en gaat (emphatic version)

I am not totally sure that this is plausible because "en" was a proclitic
(i.e. phonologically weak element)
in earlier stages of the West Germanic languages. And such weak elements
often do not allow for emphatic
stress... So, there might be totally different history. But it might be a
possibility. The question, I guess, can only
be answered by knowing when and where this construction came up and whether
there are other possible sources...

Guedgaon!

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
P.S.: Moin Ron! Meister Johann is seit 3 Monaten zurück im Ruhrpott un au
widda anna Ruhr-Uni in Bochum, weiss abba noni genau watta als nächstet
macht.... Also ma kucken! Abba
wenichstens issa getz Mitglied vonnet INS in Bremen...