LL-L "Syntax" 2004.09.05 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 5 17:34:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.09.04 (05) [E/German]

John Feather wrote:
>The French say "n'est-ce pas?" and most Germans "nicht (wahr)?". In S
>Germany, Austria and Switzerland they do things differently, of course. The
>most common word used in this sense is "gelt/gell/gelle".

Actually, "nicht?" or "nicht wahr?" isn't half as common as it used to be.
Most of the time, in Germany, the word added to a sentence for confirmation
in the sense of "isn't it?" is "oder?" (literally: "or?").

Examples:
Du hast doch Butter gekauft, oder?
(You did buy butter, didn't you?) (confirming a fact/theory)

Das sieht doch schon besser aus, oder?
(That looks better already, doesn't it?) (In this case, more in the sense
of: don't you think so, too?)

When my oldest (at that time bilingual) daughter was about two years old,
she used to do the same in Dutch: "Dat ziet d'r mooi uit, of?", "Straks gaan
we ontbijten, of?", etc. - often ending almost every single sentence that
way. She refused to believe that this wasn't correct, since it was perfectly
OK in German.

Gabriele Kahn