LL-L "Syntax" 2004.09.05 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 6 01:26:44 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.SEP.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.09.05 (03) [E]

Klaus wrote:
>btw: i know "gelt" only as a written form. Does anybody know
>if people really use that? ("gelle" has an eastern flavor;
>probably neighbours of the people who say "newwoar".)

"Gelle" is what they say all over Hesse and parts of Palatia. My grandmother
hailed from Marburg in Hesse, and she used to say "gell", sometimes "gelle",
all the time. Both "gell" and "ne?" are considered uneducated at best in
High German.

There was a rather horrible carnival hit from Mainz (the capital of
Rheinland-Pfalz, on the Hessian border) some twenty or thirty years ago,
which went:

"Gell, du hast mich gelle gern,
gelle, ich dich auch,
gelle, wenn ich lachen tu',
gell, dann lachst du auch" ... etc. - mercifully, this is the only bit I
remember.

Gabriele Kahn