LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.05 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 6 01:32:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.SEP.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.05 (01) [E]

Sandy wrote:
> It would be an exercise in futility to devise a blanket language for
> polyglots only.
>
> There may be huge difficulties in covering all languages and keeping it
easy
> enough for those who don't care about languages to be able to learn it,
but
> I hope Ingmar would see that as a challenge: excluding a segment of the
> population as a solution would be damaging to the whole project.
>
> > From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
> > Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.03 (08) [E]
> >
> > MIDDELSPRAKE is not especially meant to be understood by monolingual
> > speakers
>
> OK, you've lost me now  :)  What was the point in doing it? Do polyglots
> actually need this?

What was the point? Having fun, of course! You're thinking way too practical
here, Sandy... it's just WAY COOOOL! :-)

Anyway, you don't have to know ALL the languages that make up Middelsprake
to understand it (this forum is not exactly representative of the
population), but between, let's say, Swedish and Lower Saxon or Dutch, it is
possible to get that little kick of "hey, I've no idea what this is supposed
to be, but I can actually understand it! What fun!"

Isn't that enough of a purpose?

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

> > MIDDELSPRAKE is not especially meant to be understood by monolingual
> > speakers
>
> OK, you've lost me now  :)  What was the point in doing it? Do polyglots
> actually need this?
>
> Sandy

No, nobody NEEDS Middelsprake, the "point doing it" for me was just that I
liked it.
I kind of borrowed the constructing concept from the great project of
Interlinga (IALA) in the 50's, the neo-latin ComLang based on the Romance
languages which also is meant to
be as naturalistic as possible The big difference between Interlingua and
its Germanic counterpart is that with the latter I didn't have any
idealistic plans, but just wanted to see if it could be done.

By the way, who NEEDS dialects? Who really NEEDS language varieties, if
everyone already knows a standard language? Who needs lowlands talk?
For me, I'm just a language freak, I love linguistics, I love Germanic,
Romance, Slavonic, Semitic, Turkic and many more, and I also like to create
languages (that no one actually
need).
So I can say I NEED all this, but I also think there might be some people at
this list, who are all into lowlanguistics, that are interested in it

That's all,
Ingmar