LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.09.10 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 10 19:59:49 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.09.10 (04) [E]

Ron wrote:
"I have found Americans in general to be very careful (some would say to an
obsessive degree) to avoid sounding aggressive and offensive (which is in
itself not a bad thing at all, especially when you are dealing with so much
diversity). This tends to lead to what others might (may? will? would?)
regard as sounding "wishy-washy," "non-committal." The use of "might"
instead of "will" is just one example. "I don't know ..." is another
example where it actually means "I disagree" or "You're wrong.""

I suspected this was the case. The irony is that I find such
"non-committalisms" most irritating, because they strike me as evasive and
so untrustworthy. Yet on the other hand I have also been known to whinge
about the Australian method of argument (also known as "demolishing or
dismissing your opponent as completely and humiliatingly as possible without
dealing with any of the points they have actually raised"), so perhaps I
simply cannot be pleased.

Ron also wrote:
"However, even among older Australians there are expressions that to
outsiders come across as ambiguous, "wishy-washy." Before I mended my ways,
my American wife got irritated whenever I said "I wouldn't mind (to)"
instead of "I want (to)" or "Sure!"

Being Cornish (even if I am a Cornishman who speaks with a broad Nottingham
accent), I - like most other Celts - am loathe to use "yes" or "no". They
are blunt, insufficiently informative and reserved for extremes (such as
anger). I will say "I have" or "I haven't" or "I will" or "I won't", etc.
Such constructions are most frustrating to my wife. The one usage of mine
that is truly maddening is "yes, no..." as in "Yes, no, I know what you're
on about." "Yes, no, I'll definitely be going." I don't know why I do it but
it is very ingrained. I'll often use it if I'm uncertain... unsurprisingly!

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

> Being Cornish (even if I am a Cornishman who speaks with a broad
Nottingham
> accent), I - like most other Celts - am loathe to use "yes" or "no". They
are blunt,
> insufficiently informative and reserved for extremes (such as anger). I
will say "I
> have" or "I haven't" or "I will" or "I won't", etc. Such constructions are
most
> frustrating to my wife. The one usage of mine that is truly maddening is
"yes, no..."
> as in "Yes, no, I know what you're on about." "Yes, no, I'll definitely be
going." I
> don't know why I do it but it is very ingrained. I'll often use it if I'm
uncertain...
> unsurprisingly!

If it's any consolation, I tend to be accused of habitually saying "No"
before saying "Yes" ... Apparently it's more serious.  ;-)