LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 12 14:57:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Orthography

Good news? Or an other attack on language identity?
Quote:

European finance ministers meeting in The Netherlands have clashed over
proposals to coordinate tax policy throughout the 25 member countries.
[...]
But there was agreement that the single currency, the euro, should have the
same spelling throughout the EU.
[...]
It emerged that in some of the new EU countries - thought to include Latvia,
Slovenia and Hungary - the spelling had deviated from the accepted norm of
euro, leading to variations such as "eiro" and "evro".

from:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3648704.stm
Last Updated: Sunday, 12 September, 2004, 00:10 GMT 01:10 UK

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Language politics

Mark Brenchley seems to have missed my point about Henry V. Considering just
"foutre", it seems obvious that the audience (or a good number of them) must
have understood it. But how? Was it an odd word that passed into English (so
that one can meaningfully say that it was part of the London vernacular) or
was there a lot of French about? Of course the whole scene is basically in
French but I had assumed that the actors could have put it over: maybe Alice
slipped in a few extra English words. But it's hard to see how the following
could have been understood without a reasonable knowledge of Fr:

Kath. _De foot_ et _de coun_! O Seigneur Dieu! ce sont des mots de son
mauvais, corruptible, gros, et impudique, et non pour les dames d'honneur
d'user: je ne voudrais prononcer ces mots devant les seigneurs de France
pour tout le monde. Il faut _de foot_ et _de coun_ neanmoins. ... [My text
has no punctuation where I have put the colon.]

Maybe I'm drawing attention to the wrong thing but there is an interesting
linguistic point here somewhere!

Ron: On a related point, do you know if the Eng word "minge" comes from Roma
"mindj" or "minsh"?

Mike: It is unequivocally true that the majority of people in Wales speak
English. It is also true that the majority of people in Wales do not speak
Welsh. It is unequivocally true that the Government and the majority of
people in the Irish Republic do not seek a monolingual state. It is
therefore possible to make unequivocally true statements in this field. I
believe that the national governments of the Republic of India, the People's
Republic of China and the USA, besides many others, do not seek a
monolingual state.

Nothing in the above should be taken as an endorsement of the language or
foreign policies of Elizabeth I of England or James I of England/James VI of
Scotland.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk