LL-L "Language use" 2004.09.12 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 12 19:15:11 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.09 (01) [E]

> From: 1handclapping <1handclapping at myway.com> (Roger Verhiest)
> Subject: LL-L anguage politics french-English
>
> This brings us to the true issue in these messages : language and
politics.
> It has been and will always been the goal of political power to create
> uni-lingual states - the linguistic border between the Netherlands and
> Germany is a fine example : on both sides of the state border one will
find
> dialects which are very related ; people from over the border can
perfectly
> converse with each other in their dialects - but as soon as they begin to
> speak the "common" language ie German and Dutch they don't understand each
> other anymore.

I am reminded of something that happened a number of years ago. I don't know
the exact year anymore, but probably around 1995. The Dutch and German
armies set up a joined batallion. The decision was that the communal
language would be English. (By the way, Dutch always think "they" are such
good speakers of English, I sometimes think, while their only marginally
proficient, but that's another matter.) So there's a whole host of 20
somethings who need to start thinking in English. A newspaper comentator
argued that it would have been far better to have each of the groups speak
its OWN language, for which the others would have to do some trouble, but
which still could be easier to deal with as it would be easier for people to
speak their thoughts. (I can only shiver at the thought of the horrendous
English that would be the result! As somebody else (sorry!) commented, the
English linguafranca is something completely different from "proper"
English.)

Grietje Menger
Scotland