LL-L "Phonology" 2004.09.12 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 12 19:17:52 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Montgomery Michael <ullans at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Introduction" 2004.09.11 (01) [E]

Dear All

John Feather's point about "varsity" etc. representing
a "sound change" may be misleading, in suggesting that
the change was to "varsity," "sergeant," and "varmint"
from earlier forms.  Actually the reverse is true.
The vowel in "varsity" etc. is the older one.  The
"change" is from, not to that vowel.  Until the 18th
century, forms like "marcy" and "sarmon" were commonly
in variation with "mercy" and "sarmon."

Michael