LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.16 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 16 18:56:28 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Language varieties

I can't work out whether Mark Dreyer is presenting his own "thesis" about
Frisians and King Alfred's navy or is recounting what the Anglo-Saxon
Chronicle says. He actually seems to be saying two different things. I have
searched two online versions of the AS Chronicle and all I can find are
statements that
a) there were Frisian pirates at some point
b) later on dead Frisians are listed with the English dead
c) Alfred designed ships that were bigger than anyone else's
d) a dead Frisian called "Ebb" is mentioned.

What am I doing wrong that I can't find what Mark assures us is there?

I will keep my views on communication problems in shipbuilding and ship
operation to myself until I find out if they are relevant.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk