LL-L "Games" 2004.09.17 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 17 17:45:24 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Games" 2004.09.16 (06) [E]

> From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Games
>
> Sandy wrote:>I see the "pickies" chart painted on the playground tarmac in
> English
> schools<
>
> I think this is for the game of "hopscotch" which involves jumping and
> landing with the two feet on different combinations of numbers. I don't
> know
> the rules (they must be in Opie) and these days hanging around school
> playgrounds and watching the kids is rather frowned on.

Ah, hopscotch.  As I recall, it goes as follows: you toss a stone onto the
first space of the diagram.  You then hop over that space into the second
space.  Normally you hop on one foot, but the places where there are two
spaces side by side, you can land with one foot in each space.  When you
reach the end, you turn around and go back, and on your way back you pick up
the stone.  On your next turn, you toss the marker into the second space,
and that's the space you have to jump over in that turn.

See http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/other_games/hopscotch.htm for a
fuller description.  Some sample diagrams can be found here (about a third
of the way down the page): http://cenocracy.topcities.com/cro8.html

Some pages I found in a Google search claim that a hopscotch diagram can be
seen scratched into the pavement of the Forum in Rome.

Kevin Caldwell