LL-L "Traditions" 2004.09.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 17 17:45:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.SEP.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Rituals" 2004.09.16 (05) [E]

Moreover, "aye" is the standart for "yes" in the "toon",
(Newcastle-upon-Tyne) and I only wish that the people of cities such as
Hamburg or Bremen would only be half as proud on their local language as the
Geordies, even among young people it is normal to speak Geordie, moreover,
it is seen as prestigious in contrast to a young person speaking Low Saxon.

Helge

----------

From: Jenny Kool <j.kool at reginacoeli.nl>
Subject: Traditions

Dear all,

To get back to childhood birthday traditions:
I remember we sang a birthday song to any birthday child when I was in
primary school, we used to sing this one after the traditional "Happy
birthday"(lang zal hij leven - long shall he live)).
The words were:

"Jarige Job gaat nooit verloren,
trek hem aan zijn oren, trek hem aan zijn oren,
Jarige Job gaat nooit verloren..."
(The birthday child will never be lost, pull his ears - I know, silly
lyrics:-))

And after singing the last sentence, the whole classroom would chase the
birthday child and try to pull his ears. It was rather painful sometimes,
especially while small kids don't know their strenght, or when something
really hurts.

After all the chasing, the child would treat the rest of the class (and all
of the teachers in the school). Normally it was some candy (chocolat), or
fruits, like ships made out of bananas, or small ice creams.

After school you would invited a couple of your friends/school mates to
celebrate your birthday at home, playing games and eating cakes (blow out
the candles in one go) pancakes and/or French Fries. When we grew older, we
would also go to a swimming pool (with real waves!) or a bowling centre.
Eating was always involved.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

drs Jenny Huijben-Kool
multimediacoördinator