LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.18 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 18 16:52:17 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Language politics

Ole wrote concerning the numbers of Danish residents speaking different
languages: "Swedish and Norwegian are not assessable because of their mutual
intelligibility with Danish".

Actually I've just been reading something about this. Different experiments
have given different results but one study carried out by Maurud in 1972 on
army recruits gave ratings (out of 100, calculated in a way not specified in
the paper I read) of 69 for Danes' comprehension of spoken Norwegian and 43
for Danes' comprehension of Swedish. The lowest figure found for these three
languages was 23 for Swedes' understanding of Danish. Other experiments
involving just asking people if they can understand another language "well"
have produced results in the range 40-70% with Swedish <-> again at the low
end. I think these figures are worth noting in relation to claims about the
mutual intelligibility of Lowlands languages.

I'm a bit worried about Ron's Manx person speaking to a Lowland Scot. Is the
implication that s/he is speaking Manx? Seems like a tailless version of
Schroedinger's cat. Is the Manxperson alive or dead?

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk