LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 19 17:00:07 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.18 (05) [E]

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.18 (03) [E]
>
> John Feather wrote:
> "The lowest figure found for these three languages was 23 for Swedes'
> understanding of Danish. Other experiments involving just asking people if
> they can understand another language "well" have produced results in the
> range 40-70% with Swedish..."
>
> I have a Norwegian friend (from Tromso) who tells me that a lot of
> Norwegians understand Swedish and Danish fairly well (I have witnessed him
> talking to a Swede in Norwegian and the Swede replying in Swedish - the
> conversation was a lengthy one). However, it is rare that a Norwegian
would
> try to speak Swedish (or vice versa).

When at uni we had to choose 1 of 3 (Danish, Swedish, Norwegian) as main
language of communication. In our final year, we would also have to do a
"passive" exam in the two others. (I don't know whether that is still the
case, I'm talking about the first half of the 1980s).

In 1998 I went for a work's exchange to Sweden (I worked in Customs then).
They were dead chuffed that they could just speak Swedish to me (instead of
English as with most exchangers) and I would understand, and they would be
able to understand me, speaking Norwegian, but with jargon in Swedish - talk
about funny peculiar!

Anyway, personally I have always found that there was no problem whatsoever
with Swedes, as long as both realised you were actually speaking a different
language and wouldn't use too many colloquialisms. However, Danes always
seemed to pull a "what's that that's deigning to speak to me" face
(exceptions noted, of course).

Our professor (the renowned Amy van Marken) was known to speak all three
languages equally well, but when she had to speak formally, she would "brush
up" on the obvious traps first.

Grietje Menger
Scotland
PS My Dutch friend who visited last weekend, commented upon the fact that my
English now sounded very Scots to him. Scots would beg to disagree. But it
is undoubtedly true that I'm developing an accent (as I have had a Welsh
accent for a long time, because I visited Wales and learned Welsh a number
of years). Fortunately nobody is yet thinking I'm taking the mickey,
although I had the jocular comment "your accent's all over the place".