LL-L "Semantics" 2004.09.20 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 20 17:28:44 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Semantics

Gabriele wrote:
'there's always the word "peculiar", which is pretty much unambiguous'.

Well, "odd" is the 9th definition of it (out of 12) given in Chambers
Dictionary! How do we communicate at all?

It seems to me that "funny little" has almost become a set phrase and so can
properly be written without a comma.

Chambers doesn't give the adverbial use which exists in some dialects:
"funny big" = "extraordinarily large".

I'm intrigued by the common description of actual and potential sexual
partners often heard in TV programmes like _Friends_: "She's smart, and
funny, ...." Since very few people are "funny" in the sense of being
humorously creative do we assume that the meaning is being coloured by
"fun"?

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk