LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 20 17:28:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: Language Varieties

About a mnoth ago I mentioned how pleased I was at the way Lowland Scots was
being widely spoken in Edinburgh at least with even clothing being
emblazoned with Scots words.
 Our Spring has arrived here and at last I can wear the great 't' shirt I
purchased at the Museum of Scotland which proudly displays the word
"Crabbit" with dictionary definitions below on a blue background. "ill
tempered, grumpy, curt , disagreeable, in a bad mood (especially in the
morning). Example given 'Ken this yer a crabbit get so ye are'." The Museum
has several other Scots words similarly presented including another good yin
"Steamin" which pertains to being more than a little under the affluence of
incohol.
Mine has received great attention from all who have seen it.
Origin of Crabbit ? Have you ever seen a large crab freshly pulled from the
water ?
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."