LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.21 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 21 15:25:24 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.SEP.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jo Thys <Jo.Thijs1 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.20 (04) [E]

> From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
> Subject: Language Varieties

> "Crabbit" with dictionary definitions below on a blue background. "ill
> tempered, grumpy, curt , disagreeable, in a bad mood (especially in the
> morning). Example given 'Ken this yer a crabbit get so ye are'." The
Museum
> has several other Scots words similarly presented including another good
yin
> "Steamin" which pertains to being more than a little under the affluence
of
> incohol.
> Mine has received great attention from all who have seen it.
> Origin of Crabbit ? Have you ever seen a large crab freshly pulled from
the
> water ?

Tom,

The dictionary definitions of "crabbit" describe fairly accurate the meaning
of 'kribbig' in Dutch. (OS cribbia, OE cribba). Kribben (arguing, being
kribbig) is described as another form of "krabben", using your nails on
something (cfr. to carve). Instead of from the water - not sure wheter
you're joking- couldn't "crabbit" come from "crabb-ert"? In (southern?)dutch
a 'krabber' is sometimes used to describe the least succesfull people in a
group, like 'de krabbers in het peloton'(cycling).
I saw those t-shirts too, and liked them very much, but Scotland isn't
becoming any cheaper, ay?

Groeten,
Jo

----------

From: Jenny Kool <j.kool at reginacoeli.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.09.16 (02) [E]

Gabriele Kahn wrote:

> In Germany, they're "Weck-Gläser" (after the name of the
> company who makes
> the things), and the verb is "einwecken" (it's even in the "Duden"
> thesaurus); the only case I can think of where a brand name
> has officially
> become a verb in German (along the lines of "to hoover", to
> xerox", etc.),
> although my family, and possibly others, also uses "to
> google" as a verb by
> now (after the search machine): "Keine Ahnung, das muss ich
> mal googeln!"
>
> Weck-Gläser are slightly different from Mason jars, though;
> they do not have
> screw tops. They are glass containers with glass lids, and a
> wide rubber
> ring with a pull tab that you put in between.

In the Netherlands, we use the same word as in German:
"wecken". The process of "wecken" of fruits and veggies was done a lot until
the sixties, and than more or less forgotten by most people.
Nowadays it's back in fashion, a lot of people like to decorate their
kitchen with "weckpotten" and "weckflessen", with fruits of the same colour.
More and more life style magazines pay attention to this phenomenon, and
their are special recipes etc. in cook books. Most people don't weck anymore
for the original reason: to have vitamins trhoughout wintertime.

Jenny Huijben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Jenny (above):

> In the Netherlands, we use the same word as in German:
> "wecken". The process of "wecken" of fruits and veggies was done a lot
until the
> sixties, and than more or less forgotten by most people.
> Nowadays it's back in fashion, a lot of people like to decorate their
kitchen with
> "weckpotten" and "weckflessen", with fruits of the same colour.

Is the average Dutch speaker aware of this word being foreign-derived?

The spelling with <ck> ought to be a dead give-away (instead of *_wekken_,
*_wekpotten_ and *_wekfkessen_).