LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 23 14:43:31 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.SEP.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.22 (06) [E]

> From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Hello everyone:
>
> I have been reading the news lately and have come across a word that I
> have
> been curious about many times in the past.  The word is "ruthless."  I
> have
> never heard it used in any other way, i.e., I've never heard the word
> "ruthfull" or just "ruth."  Is there some other Lowlands language that has
> relative of it?  Is it used in the sense of "full of ruth?"  Thanks.
>
> Mark Brooks

Actually, the words "ruth" and "ruthful" exist, though they are rarely used.

American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition, defines them as
follows:

Ruth  1. Compassion or pity for another  2. Sorrow or misery about one's own
misdeeds or flaws [ME < _rewen_, to rue < OE _hreowan_]

Ruthful  1. Full of sorrow; rueful  2. Causing sorrow or pity.

Kevin Caldwell