LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 25 14:06:25 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Steven Hanson <hanayatori at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Etymology

"Mark, thanks so much!  That's a lot of good information.

I think your explanation has answered my question, but (isn't there always a
but?) looking at the other lowlands languages with cognates of "ruth", they
also seem to have a w in the place that English has the thorn.  Okay, so Old
English orthography has confused a bunch of us moderns.  We see an Old
English thorn and think it's a w.  That explains the original discrepancy.

The cognates provided by several of you gave an example of the Dutch words
"rouwen, ruwelijk" and one Old High German of "hriuwa" etc.  Is this the
same thing as the thorn and w orthographic confusion?

I'm asking this because I'm having trouble reconciling this with the
(in)famous Grimm's Law.  When Old English and Modern English have the theta
sound in *-ruthen, I would expect a frontal stop or fricative in that same
place in the other Germanic languages as well.  I can read Dutch, but my
knowledge of the sound system is limited.  Therefore, the question:  Why w
in the Dutch word "rouwen"?  Is it a /v/ therefore a frontal fricative
(although labial) like German, or is it more of a back glide like in
English?

Thanks.

Mark Brooks"

The "th", according to etymonline.com, comes from an analogy to the word
"truth".....rue/ruth, true/truth.

ruthless
c.1327, from reuthe "pity, compassion" (c.1175), formed from reuwen "to rue"
(see rue (v.)) on the model of true/truth, etc. Ruthful (c.1225) has fallen
from use since late 17c. except as a deliberate archaism.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=ruthless&searchmode=none

----------

>Mark, thanks so much!  That's a lot of good information.
>
>I think your explanation has answered my question, but (isn't there always
>but?) looking at the other lowlands languages with cognates of "ruth", they
>also seem to have a w in the place that English has the thorn.  Okay, so
Old
>English orthography has confused a bunch of us moderns.  We see an Old
>English thorn and think it's a w.  That explains the original discrepancy.
>
>The cognates provided by several of you gave an example of the Dutch words
>"rouwen, ruwelijk" and one Old High German of "hriuwa" etc.  Is this the
>same thing as the thorn and w orthographic confusion?
>
>I'm asking this because I'm having trouble reconciling this with the
>(in)famous Grimm's Law.  When Old English and Modern English have the theta
>sound in *-ruthen, I would expect a frontal stop or fricative in that same
>place in the other Germanic languages as well.  I can read Dutch, but my
>knowledge of the sound system is limited.  Therefore, the question:  Why w
>in the Dutch word "rouwen"?  Is it a /v/ therefore a frontal fricative
>(although labial) like German, or is it more of a back glide like in
>English?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Mark Brooks

the th is a noun suffix added to a word that once had a /w/ but lost it

http://www.etymonline.com/

ruthless
    c.1327, from reuthe "pity, compassion" (c.1175), formed from reuwen
"to rue" (see rue (v.)) on the model of true/truth, etc. Ruthful
(c.1225) has fallen from use since late 17c. except as a deliberate archaism

David Barrow

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

Dear Mark

The -w- in Dutch "rouwen" is pronounced like an English w.
Initially Dutch w- is more or less like German w [v], although there is an
important difference
between Dutch v- and Dutch w-.
In Dutch v- is pronounced somewhere between [v] and [f], and w- more between
[v], [w] and Spanish b/v.
Wat (what) and vat (barrel), waar (where/true) and vaar (sail), wrede
(cruel) and vrede (peace) and many
many more are minimal pairs, every native Dutch speaker will immediately
hear which word is meant.

Intervocally and word finally -w- or -w is pronounced like English [w]:
Ruwe (rude), nieuw (new), blauwe (blue), uw (your), sneeuw (snow).

In  many Southern Dutch pronunciations (including Flemish) w is always
pronounced [w], as well as by our
exuberantly compatriots from the Caribbean (Suriname and Dutch Antilles
Aruba, Curaçao and Bonaire),
who dwell here in large numbers nowadays.   Ingmar