LL-L "Introduction" 2004.09.25 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 25 14:07:59 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: vogesverp at arcor.de <vogesverp at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Introduction" 2004.09.24 (10) [E/LS]

> From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
> Subject: LL-L "Introduction" 2004.09.23 (01) [E/LS]
>
> Heini wrote:
>
> ...und meent, dat ik mi as een nege Deelneemer ok mol
> voerstell'n schull.
>
> Wilkamen, Heini!!!
>
> What would interest me most is: Where do you live? What is the situation
of
> the language? How and where do you have opportunities to use it? - I was
> fluent in plat (Mecklenburg) before I went to school, and then I was
> linguistically raped.

Dag ok, Mike,

I'll try my response bilingual. English first:

>>From my personal experience -and the environment I live in-
I have the impression that a lot of people who
used to be fluent in Platt were lingustically raped
(an interesting term, BTW) to some degree when they grew up.

When I was at elementary school, i.e. up to my 10th birthday,
everyone of my classmates spoke platt. I grew up in a very
rural environment abt. 30 km south of Hamburg, Germany.
Most of my classmates were farmers' kids or their families
led a country life as farmhands and related ways of life.

During lesson hours, it was not allowed to talk platt (our
teacher was a "real" Saxon from Leipzig - he didn't understand
platt).
This restriction might have been one of the reasons that
platt more or less faded out with my generation (I'm 54 by now).
Further reasons certainly were that platt was considered as
"old-fashioned" or "farmer talk". As a teenager, you don't want
to be old-fashioned, do you?

At any rate, I haven't used platt for almost 30 years. I returned
back to it -it's at least part of my roots- only recently
when my father had his birthday celebration and most of his
friends (all in their eighties or late seventies) talked platt all
the day. If I had refused to talk platt with them, I would have
been quiet all afternoon...

I live still in the Hamburg area, abt. 60 kms (40 mls) south of
the city. My place is a very small village (250 people) which is
dominated by farmers. They all talk platt, also the young adults
(the kids not, unfortunately). So, I have much opportunity
to maintain and eventually to improve my rusty platt.

Nu versoek ik dat mol up platt:

Jo, ok mi koemmt dat so voer, dat sick veele Lue, de mit platt
upwossen suend, sprookwijs heft Gewald andoun loten.

As ik in de Volksschool woer, snackten wi alle platt. Ik buen op'n
Land upwossen. Vun uns'n Buerndoerp no Hamborch woeren dat doettich
Kilometers. De meisten vun mijne Schoolkameroden woeren Buernkinner
oder Kinner vun Knechten unsowieder - wi ha'n all irgendwat mit de
Landwirtschaft to doun.

Oaber in School droeft'n wi keen platt snacken. Uns Schoolmester
woer een richtige Sax vun Leipzig - he verstoa keen platt.

Ik gloev, dat duesse Verbood mang annere Gruenne schulld hett,
dat platt in unse Oellersgrupp inslopen is. Annere Gruenn woeren
wohl ok, dat wi platt irgendwann foer olmodsch hold heft, oder
dat platt blots een Buernsprok woer. As jungen Kierl schall een
dog keen een foer olmodsch holln!

Ik heff woll bi doettich Joor keen platt snackt. Oaber as mijn
Vadders sijn Geburtstach hett, kunn ik nich anners. All sien Fruenn,
allens ole Knackers vun achzich oder hog inne Soemtiger, hefft
platt snackt. Dor moet ik mitmoken, ahns ha'k mijn Mul den ganzen
Dach touloten kuenn.

Tscha, ik woon juemmers nog in der Hamborger Gegend, so bi soestich
Kilometers vunaf, in'n Süden vun de Stad. Uns Doerp is luett, blots
tweehunnertfoefftich Figuren, und dat is een rein Buerndorp. Hier
snackt se alle platt, blots de Kinners nich - dat is schoa. Oaber
jedenfalls kann ick sou mijn platt weer ein beten uppoliern und
villicht sogoar nog verbetern.

Na, dat is een lange Geschicht worn. Hoffenlich is dor keen bij't
Lesen inslopen.

Ik wuensch alle een schoen Suenndag!

Heini Voges