LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.27 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 27 13:54:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Troy Sagrillo <meshwesh at bigfoot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.26 (10) [E]

on 27.09.2004 1.13 AM, Lowlands-L wrote:

> Well I'm not surprised that you never heard "... amn't I?" on the BBC
> because it has tended to be a bastion of one dialect of English.

That is true, but like it or not, it represents "Standard" British English
in many regards, at least in the sense that "amn't I?" is not regarded as
grammatically correct. If this were a matter of discussing grammar of
various "non-standard" dialects where it may or may not be used, fine, but I
can't understand how this would help ESL students at all.

But then again, I am not an ESL teacher but a N2T student :-) To each their
own!

Best,

Troy