LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.27 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 27 13:54:31 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Pyt Berg <pytbergy at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.26 (01) [E]

Hi There,
Esperanto was born out of a War.

A Pole whose name was Dr.Zamehof saw how Russians, Prussians and Poles
often could misunderstand each other. NOT having a common "neutral" langauge
it could lead to confrontations caused by mis communication of people
intent.

He spoke German, Polish Russian, French & Latin.

Esperanto IS a GREAT European language. It is 40% Latin based, 30% Germanic
based and 20% Slavic based. The rest of the words come from around the
world.
Espserantists try hard to convince people it is a world lanaguage, but only
about 7 million people speak it.

If you really want to greatly expand your understanding of the CORE
structures of many European words and hence languages it is very useful.
There are root words in Esperanto. For that it is an ideal vehicle ( a lot
easier than learning Latin & Greek).

EVERTHING I ever learnt in Esperanto (especially words) I have found a way
of
using them to assist me to learn other EURO lanaguages. It teaches you to
think
more about the words you are learning and their common origins.

In my opinion Esperanto would make an ideal vehicle for all Europeans to
find:-

1. The common root words they share.
2. Make learning other European languages easier.
3. Create the self confidence to learn another Euro Language.
4.  Maybe eventually find a common "neutral" language.

It's major drawbacks were for me:-

1.  After 3 months I became bored with it's ordered approached to everthing.
2.  Very little chance to practice enough.
3.   No "cultural" history TV programmes, enough books etc.

Still. Give it a try.

You can get a FREE 12 week course from the Esperanto society.

Pieter Bergman..:-)

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.SEP.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: BILLY NELSON <billn at centurytel.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.26 (05) [D/E]

Is anyone doing a genealogy of nelson or other families??