LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.27 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 27 19:58:20 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.27 (02) [E]

Various things Esperanto:

I've tried to learn a bit of Esperanto on my own, after I found Audrey
Childs-Mee Saluton! in a second hand bookshop in Glastonbury. The funny (or
funny....) thing was, that I didn't really learn it because I found it wholy
uninteresting as a language. (This is from someone who doesn't think that
Welsh mutations or Gaelic lenition is difficult but considers it fun!) But
of course, that is a personal opinion.

I am, as a matter of linguistic experiment, interested in what would happen
in the following case:
If you put 5 or more Esperanto speaking (but no other communal language)
together on a desert island with a good mix of male/female so procreation
would ensue and children would be born whose first language would be
Esperanto. How long would it take, do you imagine, before Esperanto would
display exactly those features that other natural languages have? That is,
colloquialisms, "secret" speak (like Cockney rhyming slang). How long would
it take, in other words, for it to loose its neutrality?

I am also not thoroughly convinced that Esperanto is as neutral as it is
proclaimed to be. Does not every speaker use her own "nurture" factor in the
language she uses? Where it is neutral is in the fact that each is speaking
a learned language, therefore all are equally "disadvantaged" in the
language (matters of proficiency aside).

Grietje Menger
Scotland