LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.27 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 27 19:58:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.26 (10) [E]

Ron:

Many years ago at my office I had the occasion to say: "I bought me a
shirt."  Well!...I was sharply and quickly corrected by one of my
co-workers, a woman who hailed from Ohio.  She went to great pains to tell
me how wrong that was.  It didn't make me stop saying it though ;-).

Anyway, later I had the privilege to hear her say, "She come over to my
house late last night."  She used that form of come all the time in the past
tense in place of "came."  I never called her on it though.  No use to just
stir up sump'm.  Now, if I could just get my shoulder to quit hurtin' from
pattin' myself on the back.

Mark Brooks