LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.28 (03) [E/V/French/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 28 16:56:39 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.25 (04) [D/E]

Moin-moin, Lowlanders,

Re: Esperanto

I have been following the discussions  with some light bemusement, because
they seem to miss the real issue which to my mind is: We desperately need a
lingua franca to save our languages. Some people appear to feel very
strongly that it should be Esperanto. Why not? Others, for expediency, feel
it should be English. Chinese,  Volapük are but two of the many alternative
candidates. Let´s not waste our time on fighting for one or the other. Let´s
bundle our efforts to achieve that we GET ONE whichever it might be.

Greetings, Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch-l at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Moin, Mike!

> I have been following the discussions  with some light bemusement,
> because they seem to miss the real issue which to my mind is: We
> desperately need a lingua franca to save our languages. Some people
> appear to feel very strongly that it should be Esperanto. Why not? Others,
> for expediency, feel it should be English. Chinese,  Volapük are but two
of
> the many alternative candidates. Let´s not waste our time on fighting for
> one or the other. Let´s bundle our efforts to achieve that we GET ONE
> whichever it might be.

"Fighting"?  Who's been fighting?

And in what way would a lingua franca save our languages?  If Esperanto,
Volapük and Chinese are options, why is English not an option?  If a lingua
franca *can* save languages, why can English (which is the _de facto_ lingua
franca now) *not* do this?

Is it me?  I can't connect those dots.

Kumpelmenten,

From: Liesbethvlaomse at aol.com <Liesbethvlaomse at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.26 (01) [E]

Dear Waki-san,

         In case you can not read my message in Flemish, I siad « Wat !?! I
don't remember defending Esperanto, unless it were that I said a person has
the right to speak any language one wishes. »

Though I despise what you say , I will defend your right to say it, eben
with my own life.

  VOLTAIRE

Friendly greetings,
Liesbeth

BTW : I agree with you and others.  Esperanto is a poor language.  It
doesn't work nor does it sound right.  Domo.

----------

From: Liesbethvlaomse at aol.com <Liesbethvlaomse at aol.com>

Liev Wakisan

Wat seigte ge?! ?  Ikke g'dedenkt nie dadde 'k Esperanto heeft beschermd.
As ikke wat seigte , 't zou einige dadde man heeft die recht wat taol man
wou gaorn klapp'n.

«Je déteste ce que vous dites , mais je défendrai avec ma propre vie votre
droit à le dire »

Ao m'n miedevlaming sei
  —Jean François marie baptiste VOLTAIRE , Ca 1750 CE

Dasselbe gild Für unsere deutsche sprachige Freund.

Wie man so treffend sagt on Belgien :  Pour les flamands la même chose.

Vriendeliek Groetjes, Sayonara,
Liesbeth