LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.28 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 28 16:57:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.27 (10) [E]

> From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Grammar
>
> Ron
>
> I missed this first time 'round, but don't Americans normally say "I'll go
> get ..."?
>
> "Go and" is a curious English usage. Most (all other?) Western European
> languages use "go+infinitive".

John,

I would say that both constructions are "normal" here in the US.  One
American construction that bothers me, though, is "try and [do something]"
rather than "try to [do something]".  It has never made much sense to me.

Kevin Caldwell

----------

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>

john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> "Go and" is a curious English usage. Most (all other?) Western European
> languages use "go+infinitive".

In Saxon you can easily say "Ik sal eyns opstaon en wat ... halen". In
Dutch too I guess, but I'm not 100% sure about that, as my home
environment has always been Saxon, so my Dutch is probably a "little"
bit influenced by it.

regards,
Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Henry:

> "Ik sal eyns opstaon en wat ... halen".

Not "Ik sal eyns gaon en wat ... haolen" as well?

In the North Saxon dialects both are possible:

Ik s(ch)al maal (~ eyns) up-staan (~ op-staan) un wat ... halen.
Ik s(ch)al maal (~ eyns) gaan un wat ... halen.
"I'll get up/go and get/fetch something ..."

Interestingly, _gaan_ ('to go') can preceded an infinitive directly in
phrases in which this is not applicable in German.

G. Ich gehe essen.
LS. Ik ga eten.
"I'll go eat."

G. Ich gehe schlafen.
LS *Ik ga slapen. (sounds wrong, "yellow")
"I'll go to bed."

alternative:
G. Ich gehe zu Bett.
LS. Ik ga na bed(de).

but:

G. Ich lege mich hin.
LS. Ik ga liggen.
"I'll have a lie-down", "I'll go (and) lie down."
LS also "I'll go to bed."

G. Setze Dich!
LS. Ga sitten!
"Sit down!", "Take a seat!"

Are there other Lowlands language varieties that say the equivalent of
_liggen gaan_ and _sitten gaan_?

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>

LL-L Grammar
From: Bill Wigham
Hi Mike,
      This may be something uniquely American,  that is, this need to use
such emphasis words
but I guess truck drivers, infantrymen and trailer park inhabitants lack the
eloquence necessary to get the point across, otherwise.
Cheers,
Bill
Westfield,MA