LL-L "Technica" 2004.09.22 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 28 16:57:51 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2004.09.24 (09) [E]

Moin Lowlanders, in my last posting I wrote:

     "Ron , you wrote:
     ´(1) We send the postings in Unicode (UTF-8) format.
     You need to switch your  view mode to it
      if you want to see all “special” characters.`
      Ron, maybe you could explain once more to me (us?)
     eternal greenhorn(s) how this is done."

and you answered accordingly.
In checking I find that my machine was  already set to UTF-8. Yet when you
quote
in Hebrew, Japanese or the like, I always only see blocks.
Maybe I (we) need some more tutoring.
Tschüß, Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch-l at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Mike,

You've got to have at least one suitable (Unicode) font installed and must
designate it to your Unicode encoding mode in email and web browser.

There is no "complete" font.  So far the most comprehensive one is Arial
Unicode MS.  It has all those scripts you mentioned.  It comes with the most
recent versions of Microsoft Office software.  It used to be freely
available online, but no more (though rumor has it some sites let you
download it, not that I would endorse this, mind you).

Here are other resources:
http://www.unicode.org
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&cat_id=Unicode
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=IWS-Chapter04a