LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.28 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 28 23:57:05 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.27 (08) [E]

> From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Language varieties
>
> According to the _Oxford Companion to the Eng Lang_, St Augustine hired
> Frankish interpreters to help him deal with the English. The book
> suggests
> that this indicates that the languages were similar.
Hear hear !

Groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene (= Kant /corner ...Kent in Roeselare)

----------

From: Troy Sagrillo <meshwesh at bigfoot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.09.28 (05) [E/Latin]

on 28.09.2004 6.57 PM, Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net> wrote:

> But the same applies to pre-industrial society too, hey! F'rinstance one
> doesn't read much about the Nubian occupation of Egypt - Egyptians were
the
> narrators 'of record', of course.

Sure you do. The Piye Stela records the campaign of the Nubian ruler Piye
north into Egypt. Then there is the Tantutamani dream stela, and and a
number of other texts written in ancient Egyptian by the Nubian rulers of
Dynasty 25.

But this is well off-topic... :-) If anyone actually cares, contact me
offlist and I can send you some more information.

My own beroepsmisvorming...

Cheers,

Troy

--
Troy Sagrillo

Departement Oosterse en Slavische Studies
Afdeling Het Oude Nabije Oosten [Egyptologie]
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven