LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.29 (04) [A/D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 29 18:13:49 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Grammar" [E]

> From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Grammar
>
> I think "go and get" is more common in the UK and "go get" may be felt to
be
> an Americanism. "Try and" is common BrE as well. Language doesn't have to
> make sense (ie obey some notion of logic) as long as it conveys sense!
> Surely it's all these little oddities which make languages fun. (NB I
could
> have expressed this differently and more accurately but I wanted to use a
> singular verb where there should "logically" be a plural. A formation
which
> I still hesitate about, however, is "There's" = "There is" for "There
are".
> "I should of gone" is unacceptable.)

It seems to me significant that you don't explain why it's unacceptable. Of
course, the logical argument against it is obvious but as you so succintly
and usefully put it, "Language doesn't have to make sense as long as it
conveys sense". I think it is really only a matter of degree.

The use of "of" for certain usages of "have" has some good precedents. It
always reminds me of the American short story writer Sherwood Anderson, who
spent most of his life as a newspaper editor, yet in his fiction would use
"of" in the narrative (not just the dialogue). I guess he must have known
what he was doing: either he spoke or thought that way, or he wanted to
characterise his narrator as not too educated. The important thing is that
it doesn't cause any confusion semantically: the English still makes sense.

Soemthing I object to that we've seen on the list recently (not from you,
John, as far as I remember) is the description of parts of grammatical
paradigms as "logical" or "illogical". Grammatical structures are either
regular or irregular. Being irregular doesn't make them any less
grammatically correct in any way.

> BTW Big Bad Bryson says something like "We use the definite article
> differently in English. We say 'go to bed'. In other languages you have to
> say 'go to the bed'". So now you know.

Will you stop quoting Bryson?!! Surely he's the von Daniken of linguistics:
a person ends up stupider for having read one of his books. I know I did!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.28 (11) [A/E]

from wim verdoold  wkv at home.nl

HI  about  "loop"   used  as  "to do..."   in  dutch  that happens  with the
word  zitten  (to sit)   zit niet te zeuren   , ik zit te denken, hij zit te
wacheten   etc  etc...ik zit te lopen...(lol)      zit  doesn't actually
mean  you are  sitting  here  just  that you are  doing  what comes  next
...the same  can happen  with  the words  liggen  and  lopen  too in dutch.
loop niet te zeuren  ( don; t bother me)    lig niet te zeuren...etc..
So it must be somthing old  if it's also being used in afrikaans..

wim

----------

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.09.28 (06) [E]

LL-L Grammar
>>From Bill Wigham
Gentlemen & Ladies,
     There just might be a factor in operation here which has to do with
boredom.  The use of the word <and> in place of <to> may just be one of
those attempts to add an emphasis to what might otherwise be ignored.  I
hear it all the time from people who should know better but who, seemingly,
do not care to be bound to some set of grammatical rules.  There might be
something in operation here smacks of an attitude against authority in
general.
We are happy that the British are manning the bastions of formal English
language, but we like to have the option of changing it around to fit felt
needs.  One must not use four letter words to add emphasis all the time.  We
do not have a word, like the word <yo> in Japanese which acts as an
exclamation mark, so we butcher selectively the language to get attention.
Just my theory...
Bill
redbilly2 at earthlink.net
Westfield MA/USA