LL-L "Etymology " 2005.04.05 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 5 23:03:35 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.APR.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.05 (04) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

    I grew up saying exactly that (or rather koekoe!) and think it
    relates to 'koekeloer'.

  You may be right. In Low Saxon we have _kukeluren_ and _kunkeluren_ for
  lurk' (hence my suggestion to refer to list lurkers as _ku(n)kelurers_,
also
  to be spelled as _koe(n)keloerers_ for our Low Franconians). I have a
  feeling that the form with the /n/ came second, because _kukeln_ can mean
  'to watch secretly'. (The /-l-/ seems to suggest a frequentive case.) I
  take it this /kuuk-/ is related to /kiik-/ 'to look'. (So, "to look many
  time > all the time".) The verb _luren_ (related to English 'to lure'?)
  means 'to lie in ambush' > 'to watch and wait (in a hidden place)' > 'to
  wait'.
About "to lure", I dunno, but "to lurk" is certainly derived from this root.
West Frisian has "loere", Dutch "loeren" (where the Dutch form has preserved
its "oe" instead of transforming it to "luren". Dutch has "koekeloeren" as
well.
The oe is probably based on varieties that still have the [u]-sound (as WF
and LS);
I think also the [u]-sound better fitted the emotional connotations). Dutch
"gluren"
is probably the same word, from "geluren" maybe, with historically correct
[y]-sound.

  Paul Finlow-Bates wrote under "Resources":

    My own gandmother died in 1960 and was born about
    1880. She always called a funnel a "tundish", and coals
    in a fire didn't glow, they "got a gleed on".

  These are very interesting.

  I take it that _gleed_ is a cognate of German _Glut_, but it's umlauted,
an
  extension of the equivalent of "glow". I assume it started with the Old
  English verb /gloo-/ _glowan_ (_glôwan_) 'to glow' developing into
umlauted
  /glöö-/ and extended _glœ^d_ (*_gloe^d_), which is in fact an Old English
  word for 'blaze' or '(fire) glow'. I would expect this to have developed
  into Modern English _gleed_, which is preceise what Paul presented to us.
Old Frisian had "gleed" as well, from *glôdi in Old Germanic.
Modern West Frisian only has "gloed(e)" [glu. at d(@)].
Saterlandic Frisian has "gloud", but North Frisian (mainland, at least)
has umlauted forms: Wiedingharde: gläid, Mooring: glädj, both from *gleed.
The verb (to glow) in Old Frisian was mostly "glia" (to glow), which gave
a.o. WF glier (A),
and derived "gleon" (< *gljeand < *gliand): 'piping hot', which also exists
in
NF gliinj (Mooring and Wiedingharde, also from *gliand). The modern verbs
NF gloie, SF gloie, gluuje and WF gloeie are related to Dutch gloeien, LS
"gluien"
(in Dutch spelling), where the Frisian forms might be old loans, as they do
not show
umlaut at all.

Mei freonlike groetnis,

Henno Brandsma

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Hi all,
Thanks, Críostóir, this is very interesting and most likely.
Regards,
Elsie Zinsser
I think _koewie_ - if I understand the pronunciation - is possibly derived
from English _cooee_. Originally a call of recognition in one of the eastern
Australian indigenous languages, it was borrowed into Australian English
and, because of the British Army, soon became part of general imperial
slang*.

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
> If Heather keeps this up she'll end up as our official etymological
explorer team director.<

But only for as long as I am recovering from a bad dose of 'flu and can
just about sit at the computer , read mails, lean back and pick the
relevant books from the shelves behind me.

Once work starts up again in earnest, there may be longer pauses
inbetween!!!!!

Heather

----------

From: David Pinto <david_e_pinto at yahoo.ca>

Cooee figures prominently in one of the stories of Sherlock Holmes.

Elsie Zinsser wrote:
...  Another word probably related is 'koewie!' for hello!"

I think _koewie_ - if I understand the pronunciation - is possibly
derived
from English _cooee_. Originally a call of recognition in one of the
eastern
Australian indigenous languages, it was borrowed into Australian
English
and, because of the British Army, soon became part of general imperial
slang*. It was still very current in the twentieth century in the south
of
England but I reckon its decline began in the 1930s. Its appearance in
South
Africa might be related to the Australian troop arrivals during the
Anglo-Boer War, or immigration from Australia and England.

*The term was used on British Army recruitment posters in Australia in
the early twentieth century - along the lines of "Coo-ee! Australians, will
you answer the call?"

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

They still hold annual Cooee competitions in Australia.  Properly executed,
a good "Cooee" can exceed 110 decibels.  The sound probably immitates the
Whip-bird, which has a very loud, penetrating call.

Paul