LL-L "Grammar" 2005.04.05 (08) [D]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 5 23:05:24 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.APR.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.29 (02) [E]

Hallo naamgenoot,

In East-Brabant (more specifically in the dialects called 'Getelands',
spoken in a region roughly defined by the Grote Gete and the Kleine Gete) we
use similar pronominal forms for the 3rd person singular. Examples: heë
werkt, heë deu "hij doet". In constructions with inversion we say e.g.
makt-er "maakt hij", gee-t-er mei "gaat hij mee".
The form heë is possibly derived from *her, which would be a compromise
between hî and er (Old High German ër). In easterly Middle Dutch 'he' was
somtimes used instead of the more common 'hî' (cfr. A. Van Loey,
Middelnederlands Sraakkunst I. Vormleer, § 41,b).
The enclitical -er goes back to *her too. This point of view is corroborated
by the fact that the verbal ending -t is not changed to -d- due to the fact
that the h- of heë (her), although eliminated now, has prevented the
application of the rules of "sandhi" (assimilation of voice). Compare with
constructions for the 2nd person singular: komd-er mei "komt ge mee",
werkd-er "werkt ge" . This -er developed from *ir (Old High German îr -
German ihr). Assimilation clearly worked in this case as it was not hampered
by the presence of an h-. Compare further: kumt-er (u as in Dutch dus) "komt
hij", werkt-er "werkt hij". In the inversion form kumt-er the final -t was
retained as opposed to the non-inversion form, where it is left out : heë
kum "hij komt".
All the above remarks do not apply to dialect of Tienen, which uses clearly
more Brabantish forms: ea "hij" (unemphatically: en) werkt, doet, go(t)
"gaat", enclitically -em: e.g. werkd-em "werkt hij", god-em "gaat hij".
Compare with 2nd person sg. constructions: werkt ge, goche (<*got ge) "gaat
ge".

Best regards,

Roger Hondshoven