LL-L "Language politics" 2005.04.08 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 8 20:03:11 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.APR.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2005.04.07 (01) [E]

Roger wrote:

"... you will have to learn English
which is a de facto devaluation"

Allow me to disagree.
If it´s done right... but I repeat myself.

"the EU converses with its citiizens in any of the 20 official
languages -
in practice you can forget it if you are unable to use english."

Here I agree, Roger, even more reason to introduce it
with ALL the precautions necessary, and to learn it.

"If minority language speakers want to take action to preserve their
language
they should support the idea of "Esperanto" as a 2nd language for
everyone.."

Why would English devaluate, and Esperanto would not?
It´s all a question of what legal (and de-facto) status
you give to the 2nd, common language. Esperanto is great
but the de-facto status of English is such that it´s use
as a European and World lingua franca has some chances
of succeeding, whereas Esperanto has not, as much as
I hate to look this sad fact in the eye...
So let´s not fight a lost cause but CONCENTRATE on
safeguarding our linguistic diversity in face, and with
the HELP of English.
Mike Wintzer