LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.08 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 8 22:16:09 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.APR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.08 (01) [E]

Leeve Klaus,

Du schreevst:

> ... or blunt enough to hurt more than they cut.
Sou'n Kroom heff ick all foken in mennigeen Kökenschapp funnen!!

Smiling Greutens/sincerely

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

---------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Moyen, Jonny, Klaas (= Klaus) un annere Leyglanders!

> > ... or blunt enough to hurt more than they cut.
> Sou'n Kroom heff ick all foken in mennigeen Kökenschapp funnen!!

Dat kanst wul seggen!  So wat kümt my jammer noug ook vaken in de moyt (un
ik bün nich bloots 'n listen-baas man tou huus' ook noch 'n koyken-baas).
Oever messen vun den slag seen myn vör-öldern "Daar kanst mit up d'n
Boksbarg ryden," un ik seg dat af un an vun daag' noch.  Kint Jy dey segwys'
ook?

Uns Jonny couldn't help making the remark that he often finds items of the
sort in the kitchen cupboard. I comiserated, having made similar unfortunate
finds too often myself, being not only a list _baas_ but at home a kitchen
_baas_ of sorts as well.  My ancestors used to say about any really blunt
knife, "You could ride (on)to Bocksberg* on it" (*the Harz mountain on which
witches congregate on Walpurgis Night).

Kumpelmenten,

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.07 (08) [E/]

Hi all,

About knife:

What about the Afrikaans 'klief'? Did the /kn/ go into /kl/ mode?

Do you also have similar forms in other LL languages meaning
'to cut' or 'split into two'?

Example in Afr: Die straler klief deur die lug.

Groete,
Elsie
 _knyv_ / "knave" / knight
Ed again:  perhaps originally the "knife" in question was more of a
"cleaver", with which one appears to hack at the meat.

Ed Alexander