LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.04.08 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 8 22:19:29 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.APR.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.04.08 (04) [E]

Ron wrote in reply to Mike Wintzer:
"Old English is extinct, or "passé" or whatever you want to call it, but
English is still very much alive. However, having said this, whether or not
Latin (_lingua latina_ in the actual, narrow sense) is alive or extinct is
indeed a valid question, in my opinion."

In my opinion, languages can only die when absolutely all record of them has
been lost and they can no longer be revived as a native tongue, as in the
case of Beothuk, Pictish and a number of others. Cornish was declared
extinct over and over, yet it now has many native speakers and many more
speakers who learnt it as a second language. That is why I try to popularise
the usage "dormant language". Hebrew is an example of a "dormant language"
that now has millions of monoglot speakers. Latin would be a truly dormant
language given that it has no native speakers, but is still used communally
and liturgically.

Of course, there is a third category - namely, reconstructed languages.
These have "died" but been "reborn" - their rebirth is based on conjecture.
Examples here include neo-Prussian, Palawi Kani (a reconstructed indigenous
Tasmanian language). Common Cornish (Kernewek Kemmyn) fell into this
category (it has been derided as "Cornic") until it obtained native
speakers.

Lastly, we may include constructed languages that claim no lineage, such as
Esperanto, Volapuk and Klingon, which are used to some extent but have no
native speakers. (Although I am sure I will be corrected here, and deserve
to be if I have misunderstood the nature of Esperanto or Volapuk.)

(By the way, Ron: Sanskrit is not only still widely used, it is also an
official language of India. I think that is "official" in the same way Irish
is "official" - i.e., on paper.)

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.