LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.04.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 15 18:10:39 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.APR.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ian Pollock <ispollock at shaw.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.04.14 (01) [E]

Hehe, true, it's a little bizarre when people talk that way, but I
think cause and effect are a little mixed up here. People say that
because they're too lazy to insert the actual entities they're
discussing, but I don't think it's really affecting the language in any
huge way. We have the same thing happening here in Canada, often. In
fact I'd bet that most languages have some equivalent. In Russian it's
это самое ('EtV 'samojE) or штука ('shtukV), in Spanish if I remember
correctly it's "ese..." If that was being said frequently in Edinburgh
as you say, I'd call it more of a cultural phenomenon with linguistic
consequences, wouldn't you? Although I'll agree that with some speakers
it affects the thought processes.

Incidentally, a synonym of "thingy" in my dialect (Calgary, Alberta,
Canada) is "dealie." Do any other dialects have this word?

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.04.14 (12) [E]

Hi all,

You were talking about, well, whadyacallem?  Doobris (no idea how to
spell that word - rhymes with blueberries, when pronounced with two
syllables).  Widgets.  Was hoofer-doofer ever one of these words? I seem
to remember it was, but now it has the specific meaning of a television
remote control.

Unfortunately, nominal aphasia means I use a wide variety of these
words.

What are their Dutch equivalents.  I would find them very useful for
such sentences as 'Does it have a .... whotsit - you know, little window
that is in the roof of a house'

Best wishes to all,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)