LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.04.14 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 15 00:31:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.APR.2005 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Hi All

Ron, you said

"Don't people in Australia use "thingy" in the same way, or was that only in
my circles?  I thought I heard it used in England as well."

Yup, in England I've used thingy before, and thingmyjig, and thingmybob, and
plain thingmy and
wodyacallit, and...

ok question - anyone got an idea about the etymology of the 'jig' and 'bob'
parts of the thingmies above?

Gary

ps. congrats Ron on your becoming a bit more American, not sure I'd take the
plunge and become German, give me another 20 years perhaps... :)

---------

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.04.14 (01) [E]

Only person I know who used that was from Durham.
Far as bloody Thingwy goes one Aussie friend uses it routinely but his
Dad was a Scots wheelwright who obviously brought it with him.
My major hatred here is the ridiculous 'At this point in time'. Why the
hell can't they just say something like 'Currently' or even 'Now'. I
notice US pollies have adopted this in recent years.
Worst Australian innovation was when some pompous academic in the early
20th century started referring to those of Scots and Irish decent as
Anglo Celts. Totally inaccurate collective term that became standard,
even turning up on census forms. After prolonged pressure from Irish,
and Scots to a lesser extent, it was abolished from officialdom in the
1970's. Some politicians eg Pauline Hanson,still use it and we cringe.
On 15/04/2005, at 12:55 AM, Lowlands-L wrote:

> Don't people in Australia use "thingy" in the same way, or was that
> only in
> my circles?  I thought I heard it used in England as well.

Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us