LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.04.18 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 19 01:21:41 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.APR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ben Bloomgren <ben.bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.04.17 (08) [E]

Hey, if you speak Portuguese or a West African language, then that is not an
excuse, as you need your nose for all those nasal vowels. Tenta de novo. Não
tens nenhum problema!

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.04.18 (02) [E]

Liobothi Dalathlandarjes!

So the Anniversary Party kabouters have already started celebrating!

Gabriele, I didn't know you had a trade mark on "GEK", although I suppose
it's no coincidence. After all, it takes lots of "elan(d)" to be a Global
Moose. Imagine eing sentenced to a life of "cerf"-dom!

As to "galerie de cacahuetes", I still can't see what
 French department store has to do with it. ;-)
As to Gothic, I doubt that they would have flown
commercial class on Lufthansa, ergo keine Erdnuesse.
Still, we could call your Peanut Gallery the
_gamainjo-stols_ , usually reserved for those Goths
who made rude noises of a digestive nature during
solemn ceremonies, such as beheading of Roman
soldiers, etc.

Happy Anniversary, Ron and all! Your combined
contributions to the preservation --and the
liveliness-- of Lowlands Germanic tongues have earned
huge rounds of applause. Minority languages are among
the most basic and essential of human rights: The
right to an identity.

And to those who would rob us of our identities, a
Goth would have said: "Ogs! Ogs mikils!" (Be Afraid!
Be very  afraid!).

Arthur

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Arþurs unsar (her iupa):

> Happy Anniversary, Ron and all!

And Happy Anniversary to you, an aw, Arthur an Robin!  And thanks for being
such a good sport, Arthur!

> So the Anniversary Party kabouters have already started celebrating!

Indeed they have.  Party hats are being handed out as we speak.  There's
nothing wrong with some celebratory fun, frolic and frivolity after ten
years.

Being skilled in legal protection (in case the neighbors call the militia on
us) as well as being skilled in the not so rare art of painful puns, you
might do us the honor of acting as the _fríols béaggiefa_ (which is my own
Old English equivalent of _master of ceremony_, literally "shindig's bigwig"
in geræde Ní-Englisc), or, since you are our resident Gothophiliac,
_gabaûrfaûraþmaleis_.

I am sure that _Sa Majesté_ will graciously open her throne room to the
throngs of common revelers for the occasion.  _Gamainjo-stols_ they may be,
the cheap seats of the peanut gallery.  In Low Saxon, being that it is
relegated to the rurally rough and rugged, _ruge boen_ (['ru:ge bø:n] "rough
loft" = 'hayloft') springs to mind.

I would like to thank all of you who contributed sound files to the
anniversary project so far.  They are all terrific, and I detected much
theatrical talent in our midst.

I am surprised no one has so far commented on our Dave Singleton's Southern
Yorkshire/Derbyshire English translation and narration.  (It reads and
sounds just grand, Dave!)  There seems to be quite a bit of material there
for those of you interested in American English, including Appalachian.

Thanks also to those of you who have written to me privately in response to
the unveiling.

As you were!