LL-L "Orthography" 2005.04.26 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 26 19:46:09 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.04.26 (03) [D/E]

>From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
>Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.04.25 (03) [D/E]
>
>Re " het groene boekje"
>
>Roger Thijs quotes from the "Green Bible of Dutch Ortography"
>
>MMM.... Paddenstoel? Ik wist niet dat we er daarvan hadden die groot
>genoeg waren voor meer dan een pad tegelijk? Behalve dan misschien
>de
>"vliegen(ge)zwam. Jacqueline

The old rule (making more sense IMHO) of -en when plural and -e when
singular, is no more. Now the rule is based upon the plurals that the word
can have. Eg. groentesoep, because groenten & groentes. But waardeoordeel
because only waarden exist, not waardes.
Compounds with pad have, according to the new rules, always -en- when you
hear [@] in the middle.

Diederik Masure

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Yeah, this new Dutch spelling... I really hate it! Already the first ugly
version of it, that is about as old as our beautiful LLList...
It is based on the Non Low Saxon accent of Dutch, that never pronounce the
<n> in <-en>. For us Saxons, who clearly differentiate <-en> from <-e>,
it is frustrating and confusing having to write <paddeNstoel> when we
pronounce <paddEstoel>, but in other words like <padden> or <stoelen>
we do pronounce <n>. But the majority of Dutch speakers, of the central
dialects of Holland and Brabant, don't pronounce final -n at all.
For them it's difficult to know when -en or -e is spelled...
That is why there are two possibilities of forming plural for words ending
in -e (schwa): both -en and -es.
Zum Beispiel:
kudde-kudden/kuddes (flock), voorwaarde-voorwaarden/voorwaardes(condition)
behoefte-behoeften/behoeftes (need) etc.

In colloquial Dutch, the -es form is predominant, because there is no
difference heard between -e and -en. But in formal language it is -en.

Also note the difference between:

echtgenotEN (spouses/husbands) - echtgenoteS (wives)
arrestantEN (arrested men)     - arrestanteS (arrested women)
ChineZen (Chinese men) - ChineSen (Chinese women)
AngoleZen(Angolese mn) - AngoleSen(Chinese women)
etc

Ingmar