LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.26 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 26 19:56:12 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.24 (01) [E]

Dear Ron:

I guess that this would come under a culinary heading.  I told my sons
a few days ago that in my opinion, gefilte fish makes a wonderful
flavoring for horseradish.  I remember encountering horseradish
occasionally in my lowlands childhood but it was not an important item
in my family.  There are cultures though where large quantitities of
horseradish are consumed.The Ukrainian National Home on the Lower East
Side in NYC makes a wonderful boiled beef with horseradish sauce (with
kasha on the side).  Do you or anyone else have any lowlands recipes
calling for horseradish?  The more horseradish the better.

Tom Byro

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hello, Tom, and welcome back in our midst!  Great to see you couldn't stay
away for good.

Are you still eatin' them herrings?

Personally, I love horseraddish, but I was and am the only one at home, and
my repertoire is limited to "exotic" dishes, and now that I eat meat, fish
and potatoes very rarely or hardly ever my need for horseraddish has
lessoned accordingly.  I'll rummage around to see if I can find anything.
Unfortunately, my Old Hamburg cookbook has preceded me to California.  I
know that it has plenty of recipes you'd find interesting.

However, there are plenty of eaters and cooks around here besides me.  So,
with luck you'll hear from them.