LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.26 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 26 22:25:12 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.26 (06) [E]

Hi, Tom,

horseradish (I guess, horses shall never try it to eat!) is very famous in
our region.

In the famous cherry- and apple-region near Hamburg, called "Das Alte Land",
people call it in their local LS: 'Myrrk", in G: 'Meerettich', in Austria
'Kren'..

Well- try it those ways:

1. Grate the fresh horseraddish as fine as possible, mix it with some sugar,
and add sweet cream as much as necesarry to make it weaker, specially for
Your children. Enjoy it with fish, as You already pointed up.
But- never take any type of canned horseradish; it's mostly mixed up and
conserved with sulphur. Horrible- bäh.

2. Prepare the radish as above, but with boiled beef:
You have to boil a certain part of a beef (called 'Tafelspitz', near the
tail of an ox; about 1,5 kg) for two or better three hours in a bouillion of
vegetables (onions, leek, carots, celery, some black pepper, a small piece
of ginger and, of course, not too less salt). Be careful- the lowest heat
You can manage on Your stove is best.
Take out the meat and wait a part of the bouillion on table, as starter.
Take the rest and enrich it with some sweet cream, sugar and try to thicken
it with some wheat- or corn-pour. A piece of butter is welcomed.
Then You have to add the prepared horseradish, as described above.

Cut the meat into very thin slices and serve it with the sauce and
German-typic boiled potatoes. Additional: some sugared cranberry-jelly,
perhaps even mixed with the grated horseradish.
If You like You may add some raisins You have weakened the night before in a
cup of water.

3. Salad
Very German-like! You have to open a tin of sour-krout and to peel and slice
some fresh apples. Put it together, mix it, then add just a little bit! salt
and sugar and some horseradish at last.

You want to stay a good friend to Your children? Don't serve it too often,
and don't be too generous with that damned hot vegetable. Everyone at your
table should be able to strengthen the taste with some horseradish served
apartly on a special plate in accordance with his own gusto.

Enjoy it, and I shall feel with You when You're crying like a 'dog of a
castle' while grating the radish.

Greutens/sincerely

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

BTW: This above described salad we serve in special to baked herring and
potatoe-puree. Really!

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Tom,

as I just remember:

You can serve horseradish (prepared the way I wrote) to every type of
[smoked] fish (trouts, salmon, graved-salmon...) and meat (ham, bacon etc.).
You even should try it with aromatic cheese-types.
The same on sandwiches, with Middle- and Eastern-European, smoked or not,
sausage variations, instead of mustard.

Good health!

Greutens/sincerely once more

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Thanks, Jonny!  I bet Tom, our prodigal son, will enjoy that, especially if
it can be combined with herring.  :-)

> In the famous cherry- and apple-region near Hamburg, called "Das Alte
> Land",
> people call it in their local LS: 'Myrrk", in G: 'Meerettich', in Austria
> 'Kren'..

I call it _merrik_ (German _Meerrettich_, bot. _Amoracia rusticana_).

Personally, I prefer the Japanese variant: 山葵 _wasabi_ (_Wasabia japonica_),
especially when it "shoots out the nose," as I call it ... Ouch! Yeah!
Goood!

By the way, horseraddish (Yiddish כרײן _khreyn_) is the מרור_maror_ ("bitter
(vegetable)") of choice at the Passover seder table, and kosher delis,
especially in New York City, should be able to give you horseraddish up the
yin-yang, since it goes perfectly with all those incomparable, enormously
stacked sandwiches.