LL-L "Language politics" 2005.04.26 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 26 22:36:09 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2005 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2005.04.26 (02) [E]

Hi Criostóir, I think you're right that Irish should be the first and
maybe only public language in language reservations like the Gaeltacht.

By the way, when do we get an Irish (or Scottish) Gaelic version of the
Wren from you? Now, under Celtic, we only find the P-Celtic/Brittonic
Welsh, Breton and Cornish. I really miss Irish, Scottish and Manx..!

Ingmar

>Your statement raises two responses. Firstly, Irish is, under the
>Constitution, the "national and first official language". Consequently,
the
>Government is legally beholden to give precedence to Irish. I say
>"precedence" because the wording is "first" official language (English is
>the "second"). Of course, the Irish Government does not follow its own
rules
>(and in fact finds inventive ways to circumnavigate those rules) so that
>Irish is rarely used officially, and then only as an afterthought.
Secondly,