LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.04.29 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 29 16:50:41 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.APR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.04.28 (10) [E]

Paul Finlow-Bates wrote:
"Well, Leicester achly. Bit more saath, burra doont sahnd too diffrent. Live
in Notts nah."

Yeah, ah yan terd much o the wey Lester foewk tok an wot wods yeh use
(gierrus a few o yuh special wods), but its olweys saans veri cloews tee
Notts... aye yerd a bloewk frem Nothampton on thuh news wen nah wo rova in
Derbyshuh thuh uther weegk en nah thot even nee saandit well lak Notnum, so
wah wonder raa saath East Midlans tok achli goews. Raan the noth wes tay
Derbyshuh it gets sol Manky lak, an on a line runnin thro the middle ay
Notnumshuh it gets ol Yokshuh lak. Ah olwyes reckon East Midlans is thuh
fost tay thuh nothun dialecks ay English (or thuh las tay um, which yuh
prefer).

David Clarke wrote:
"Go on - I bet your mother didn't talk to you like that."

You're right. My mother's Cornish.

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.28 (14) [E]

Reinhard, I'm intrigued again by your (Hamburg) Missingsch, particularly
what is so Low Saxon about it? It looks very High German at first sight,
M Meejchsubbe vs LS melksup etc.
<Schogolådesubbe> reminds me of the discussion we had before about voicing
stops in Danish, where I stated they could be originally from Northern Low
Saxon. Is this voicing of voiceless intervocal stops a rule in Hamburg
Missingsch? Or in the local Low Saxon too?

Ingmar