LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 29 15:35:30 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.APR.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.04.28 (14) [E]

Hi, Tom and Ron,

Tom:
what's hiding in  'burdock roots' and 'wild poke shoots'? Unable to find
them in my dictionary.

Ron:
The Asian influence one can watch increase in Germany as well. In special
the Chinese 'wok' you'll find in many German kitchens, though most of them
are not really suited to do the same as their homeland-originals, because
they're not hot enough.
Japanese 'sushi' (ore, something called like this) is the No. One-hit at the
moment, both in many restaurants and, being prepared, in the supermarket's,
too.

The great, long running favorite in the German 'New Cuisine', however, is
everything coming from Italy.

Greutens/sincerely

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>In the summertime, a
special treat was "sour milk" (G. _saure Milch_ ~ _Sauermilch_, M. _saure
Meejch_, LS _sure melk_ ~ _suurmelk_), i.e.,  milk left to stand in the
open
to separate, go chunky and sour, then sprinkled with sugar, simetimes
berries or chunks of fruit ... and eaten of course.  (I know it sounds
disgusting, but it actually tastes quite good, yoghurty, buttermilky and
refreshing.)  Irish and English friends told me that that's what they had
as
children too.  This was when milk was still full-fat and not pasteurized.<

The original Miss Muffet's curds and whey!
A personal No! No!  tho' I quite like a cheese made from the curds with
salt, garlic and fresh chives added. Yummy!

Buttermilk is still available in Welsh shops    as a drink or for use in
tatws llaith   ( mashed potato with buttermilk)
but noone will have even heard of it in English supermarkets/ shops.

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Jonny:

> what's hiding in  'burdock roots' and 'wild poke shoots'? Unable to find
> them in my dictionary.

"Burdock (root)" is _Klettenwurz_ in German.  It's a long brown tuber with
an inside about the color of a parsnip (_Pastinake_, _Moorwurzel_).

"Pokeweed" or "poke salad" -- a native American plant -- is called
_Kermeswurzel_ in German, its botanical name being _ Phytolacca decandra _.
"Wild poke" is the wild, un-cultivated plant, and "shoots" are very young
plants, _Sprösslinge_.  "Poke," formerly "pocan," is derived from _uppowok_
or _apooke_ in Algonquian languages of Virginia, related to Narranganset
_puck_, all meaning 'smoke', because the dried leaves of this plant are
traditionally smoked and therefore used to be referred to as "Indian
tobacco."

> The great, long running favorite in the German 'New Cuisine', however, is
> everything coming from Italy.

Oh, don't tell me there's an obsession with everything Tuscany, too!  I'm
getting so sick of it here, and so are Italian acquaintances, rolling their
eyes.  As though Tuscany were the only worthwhile region of Italy ...

Heather:

> Buttermilk is still available in Welsh shops    as a drink or for use in
> tatws llaith   ( mashed potato with buttermilk)
> but noone will have even heard of it in English supermarkets/ shops.

Do they call it "Buttermilch"?

This tatws llaith is delicious, is the same in Sorbian cuisine (though I
have forgotten the name), is not as common as Sorbian smashed potatoes with
quark and linseed oil, though.

By the way, traditionally, boiled beef with horseraddish (_chrěn_) is *the*
special dish in Sorbian cuisine, is the crown course of a traditional
wedding feast that starts with the famous "wedding soup."