LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.30 (04) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Apr 30 21:54:23 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.APR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: Etymology

Leeve Lowlanners, Reinhard,

(English below)

disse Doog heff ick weller mol een nieg' Woord leert (door koomt jümmer noch
welk, obschounst ick siet miin Kinnertiid meist elke Dag Platt snacken dou):

LS: 'Hellbössen', inne Meent van 'Xanthippa'.

Mi wunnert de Uutsprook van dat Prefix 'Hell-', anners heet dat door, wo dat
sou düchdig warm is, 'Höll'-'. Or hett dat an dennen Innen mit dennen Düvel
rein gonnix anne Mütz?
Kennt anner Lüü' dit Woord ook?

***

Dear Lowlanders, Ron,

these days I heard another new word (they are still coming, though I use to
talk LS nearly every day, since my lovely childhood):

LS: 'Hellboessen', in the meaning of 'Xanthippa'.

The pronounciation of the prefix 'Hell-' (spoken like in English) sounds
strange to me, because that special warm place and its related words
otherwhise is called 'Hoell-`. Or is it from different origin at the end,
nothing to do with the devil?

Do other people know and use this word too?

Greutens/sincerely

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.29 (11) [A/D/E]

My neice (a zoologist) advises me that the division between "frog" and
"toad" is not a real zoological one.  In Europe we tend to see two ends of a
continuum; around the world there are all grades of froads and togs.

Paul

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

How about LS <plofpoggen> Dutch <plofpadden>? I don't know about Low Saxon
in Germany, but in the Netherlands <ploffen> or <ontploffen> means to
explode. Or would <plofbutjes> be more precise because of the locality?

Btw: I read that those <extodes> were probably slaughtered à masse by
crows, who picked their livers out. In case of danger, toads are blowing
themselves up, but because of the whole in thei bodies made by the crows,
they expload, all the blood and guts will come out...
Nice story, huh?

Ingmar

Reinhard: