LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.31 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 1 01:06:28 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.JUL.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Marsha Wilson <NanaMarsha at msn.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.31 (03) [E]

Is Alsatian considered a dead dialect of German now?  High?  Low?  Something
else entirely?  In doing some genealogy, I discovered that my grandfather's
second wife, Helen Horneng, emigrated from Alsace (year unknown but she
would have been born around 1880's).  The family always said she was
"German" and she suffered quite a bit of ill-feeling during the second World
War.  All I remember of her is her saying my father's name as "Chem" instead
of Jim.
Thanks,
Marsha

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Marsha!

Good to hear from you again.

As far as I know, Alsatian is a group of Alemannic varieties, is thus
related to the dialect groups Swabian (of most of Swabia, Germany), Upper
Alemannic (of Switzerland, Vorarlberg of Western Austria, and the Southern
Black Forest area of Germany) and Uppermost Alemannic (of Canton Wallis,
Switzerland).  Specifically, Alsatian belongs to the Lower Alemannic group,
to which also the dialect of Basel, Switzerland, belongs.  Most
specifically, Alsatian is the westernmost reach of the Upper Rhine Alemannic
group that straddles the Rhine and the French-German border just south of
Karlsruhe, includes the dialects of the cities Freiburg im Breisgau
(Germany), Colmar (France) and Strassbourg/Straßburg (France).

Alsatian is indeed still used, also in the media, in amateur theater and so
forth.  Its speakers' position has been difficult, what with wanting to
continue their dialects and at the same time dealing with the pressures of
coming across as good citizens of a country that is unsupportive and in
denial, if not outright hostile, regarding minority languages.  In addition,
the two world wars and post-war Franco-German tensions have pushed many
Alsatians into distancing themselves from Germans, including from the
Alemannic speakers just across the border.  Several Germans have told me
about Alsatian-speakers preferring to speak French or English to Germans,
and there are rampant reports of particularly Germans being treated in more
surly and even rude ways than in other parts of France.  I can not vouch for
the veracity of such reports.  Also, I don't know about the survival
prospects of Alsatian.  I assume they are not terribly good, given the
pressures of young French citizens to be "with it," which means to be as
"Franco-French" as possible and at the same time to worship
English-dominated international popular culture.

This is probably more than you had hoped for.

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Interesting, that the Ruhrgebiet has both j- (as in Köln etc) and palatal
g- (as in Southern Dutch/Kleverlands etc)! This indicates that j- for g-
is derived from palatal g- originally, because we find dialects with j-
next to those with g-. I think palatal g- is more difficult to pronounce
for strangers, and that could be a reason that is was replaced by related
but more common j- in cities, like Berlin, Köln, etc.

The Ruhr-area is linguistically devided: the West is (was) speaking Low
Franconian "Kleverland" dialects, and the East Low Saxon "Westphalian"
dialects. So we could call it a linguistic Ruhrpott as well ;-)

Ingmar

>From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
>Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.28 (07) [E]
>>You won't find initial j- for g- in most of the Ruhrgebiet. It might be
used
>by older people in the southwesternmost corner which borders on the Low
>Franconian dialects of the Rhine, such as Mühlheim, Duisburg, and so on.
In