LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.01 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 2 03:57:27 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.AUG.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jean duvivier <duvassoc at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.31 (04) [E]

Hello Ron,

Interesting comments about Alsatian. My mother's grandparents emigrated from
Alsace to Belgium around 1871, when Alsace and Lorraine were conquered by
Prussia. Their name was Dietz, which was apparently frenchified to Dits.We
don't know where they came from in Alsace. I have been told by an Alsatian
friend that there are a number of Dietz in the area around Colmar-Mulhouse,
but  have no way of verifying the accuracy of that fact.
The Alsatians that I have known were almost without exception resentful
towards Germany and Germans because of the way they were treated and also
conscripted from 1871 to 1918 and during WW2.
I have never learned that dialect because I never lived in Alsace and as far
as I know, most Alsatians prefer to speak French with visitors. In French
schools, German or English are the preferred second (foreign) languages
which are taught, although these days,I understand that Spanish is catching
up.

Jean Duvivier

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Salü, Jean, un vielmols merci !

It's great hearing from you again for a change.

Thanks for adding information about Alsatian (_Elsässerditsch_) and its
speakers.  Here's another tangental excursion.

Alsatian is devided into three groups of dialects, from north to south:

Lower Alsatian
   main cities: Strasbourg/Straßburg/Strossburi, Haguenau/Hagenau,
Wissembourg/
   Weißenburg, Saverne/Zabern
Central Alsatian (adj. to Baden-Wuertember, Germany):
   main cities: Colmar, Sélestat /Schlettstadt, Ribeauvillé/Rappoltsweiler
Upper Alsatian:
   Main cities: Mulhouse/Mülhausen, Guebwiller/Gebweiler, Altkirch,
   Saint-Louis/Sankt Ludwig

Alsatian language course: http://www.verdammi.org/cours.html

TV in Alsatian onliene:
http://videojts.france3.fr/regions/popup.php?id=l67a_locale&portail=regionalsace&m_OAS=regions.france3.fr/alsace/videojt/1920local/rundum&m_mmtrie=france3_regions_alsace_videojt_1920local_rundum

> Their name was Dietz, which was apparently frenchified to Dits.

I wonder if this is related to the Lowlandic _Diets_ as a cover term for
Lowlands German language varieties, or "German," or if it is derived from a
first name akin to Diederik.  I rather suspect the former.

Àdje bisàmme, un viel Gliek !